We all love to eat but hate to gain weight. Every year we promise to ourselves that this year we will lose weight, we will join the gym and follow a diet but it is all a myth. Some start off with reducing appetite, some restrict their calorie intake, reduce fat and carbohydrate intake, etc. Even though all of these are effective ways to reduce weight but which one will work for you is what you need to understand. A particular diet can be effective for you but not for everyone. This is an important fact that most of us don’t know. Different body types respond to different diet. Here we have discussed a couple of diets which might be helpful for you.
Types of diet to choose from for weight loss
Choose any one of the following to start a new fitness regimen:
- The Paleo Diet
The concept of the Paleo diet is, to follow the footsteps of our great ancestors. At the beginning of human evolution, our ancestors were mostly hunter-gatherers. This diet suggests us to eat what they used to eat. In short, it states that we human must restrict the consumption of processed food. A theory based on this diet states that most diseases develop due to the western diet culture which is a lot dependable on processed foods. From this point, we also drop down to another undeniable fact which is, whether our ancestors followed this exact diet or not is still questionable. Although this diet leads to innumerable health benefits, so you can follow this diet.
- How it works: This diet comprises of lean protein, fruits, vegetables, dry fruits, and nuts. It strictly discourages the consumption of processed food items, sugar, grains, and dairy products. Some versions of this diet allow consumption of potato, sweet potato, cheese, and butter.
- Weight loss: Multiple studies conducted on the paleo diet have stated that it effectively ensures significant weight loss and slimming of the waistline. People following the paleo diet consume fewer carbs, lots of protein and a limited amount of calories on per day basis.
- The downside: Following the paleo diet will eliminate the consumption of legumes, whole grains, and dairy products. These are actually healthy and nutritious elements which help in overall growth.
- The Vegan Diet
AS the name suggests, the vegan diet eliminated the consumption of all animal products. It strictly depends on vegetables and not on any animal product. The reasons behind this, being it’s environmental, ethical and health factors. The vegan diet develops from veganism which is strictly against the exploitation of animals and cruelty towards them. The strictest form of vegetarianism is called veganism. People following the veganism are known as vegans.
- How it works: The vegan diet consists of only vegetables and soy products. Soy products like soy milk are obtained from soya beans. The vegans strictly discourage the consumption of any form of meat, dairy items, eggs, processed animal products, gelatin, honey, whey, albumin, some edibles consisting vitamin D3 and casein.
- Weight loss: It is the most effective diet for weight loss. You don’t have to count your calories when you are on a vegan diet. The foods you consume in this diet are low in fat content and high in fiber content. It keeps your stomach full for a longer span of time and reduced the number of meals you consume. This form of diet is directly associated with reducing body weight and BMI or Body Mass Index.
- The downside: Eliminating animal products completely results in lacking several nutrients which we obtain from animal products such as meat, milk, eggs, etc. The nutrients we miss out on due to the vegan diet are omega-3 fatty acids, iodine, calcium, iron, zinc, vitamin B12, and vitamin D.
- Low-Carb Diets
The most effective weight loss diet is the low carb diet. It has been there in the history of diet for decades and has a variety of options. The low-carb diet has a basic principle which states that you can only consume 30 to 150 grams of carbs a day. As our body is designed to be fueled by carbs, this diet aims to fuel the body by fats t provide an ample amount of energy.
- How it works: low-carb diet aims in reducing the carb intake and improve the consumption of proteins and fat. This diet leads to the formation of ketones which is produced by transportation of fatty acids to the liver through blood. In the absence of carbs in your body, the fatty acid and ketones produce energy.
- Weight loss: A couple of studies carried out on the low-carb diet states that it is a great option for weight loss. People who are suffering from obesity and are overweight can follow the low-carb diet to get back into shape. It effectively reduces belly fat, and fats logged around your organs. Ketosis is the point which is attained by followers of the low-carb diet. Ketosis can also be reached through ketogenic diets.
- The downside: One thing you must keep in mind that the low-carb diet is not meant for everyone. Diets vary from person to person depending on their body type. If this diet is not meant for you then you will experience an upsurge in the bad LDL cholesterol. There have been cases of ketoacidosis, which is a serious condition. This condition is rare but can be dangerous if left untreated.
- The Dukan Diet
- bariatric surgery for weight loss
This diet is a low-carb and high protein diet which can be divided into four segments. The first two segments are weight loss and the other two segments are maintenance. The longer you stay in a particular segment the more you lose weight and maintain your health. Each segment has a different diet plan and works accordingly.
- How it works: Weight loss is obtained by the consumption of immense high- protein foods. Oats is a mandatory element in this diet and continues to be present in the diet throughout the process. For the other segments, you need to add carbs, non-starchy elements, and some fats. To maintain the new weight you need to reduce the consumption of pure protein.
- Weight loss: Studies show that weight loss occurs effectively for both men and women who follow this diet. Women consuming a minimum of 1000 calories and 100 grams of pure protein have reduced around 12 to 15 kg in a span of 60 to 75 days.
- The downside: As there is little research material available on this diet, no proper information suggests any downside.
After you select the diet you think you want to try, go to a dietician for a proper chart. He will customize it according to your body type and goals, and then you can start off with your new journey towards fitness.